The Georgia Sea Turtle Center’s (GSTC) Ride with Night Patrol program offers participants the unique opportunity to see what it is like to be a sea turtle field biologist for one night. The evening will be spent with our sea turtle patrol team, riding half of the beach in all-terrain vehicles and walking the other half on foot, in search of the Loggerhead Sea Turtles that nest on Jekyll Island’s beaches. If a turtle is encountered, participants will have the chance to assist our research scientists and AmeriCorps Members as we learn more about these animals, making for an truly immersive, rugged, and inspiring field experience.
Purchase includes free general admission to the GSTC for each ticket holder. General admission can be used the day before, the day of, or the day after your scheduled ride along.
- Participants must arrive at Great Dunes Pavilion at 8:30 PM and plan to be picked up by 8:45 PM (please bring your receipt).
- This program lasts up to four hours and can include 3-12 miles of walking on the beach.
- Participants must be at least 6 years old. All minors under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Participants must be aware that conditions on the beach can include extremely high numbers of biting insects.
- Due to insects and highly-variable weather/temperatures, we recommended bringing comfortable layered clothing, including a short-sleeved shirt, light jacket, rain jacket, pants, and closed-toed shoes.
- Insect repellent
- Sea turtle patrol vests
WE ENCOURAGE YOU BRING:
- Water (at least 2 liters)
- Food (we recommend bringing a lot of snacks to eat throughout the night)
Performing the following activities during patrol is grounds for immediate dismissal with no refund:
- Unauthorized handling or harassment of sea turtles
- Operate the vehicles at any given time
- Taking photos. Limited photography may be performed by our permit-holding researchers.
Although the Ride with Night Patrol program is only offered during peak nesting periods, the Georgia Sea Turtle Center does not guarantee that guests will observe a sea turtle while participating in the program. The Georgia Sea Turtle Center is not responsible for any injury or complication that arises while participating in this program. Participants must comply with all instructions, including but not limited to vehicle safety and prohibited activities (e.g., touching or photographing a sea turtle). Non-compliance will result in the termination of the program with no refund.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US:
EMAIL: [email protected]
PHONE: (912) 635-4141